Friday, August 2, 2013

Interview with Kerry Heavens, Author of Just Human



I am honored to have a chance to interview Kerry Heavens. I can't tell you how excited I am to have her on the blog!

Describe your journey into publishing.
I have no training and no background in writing, I just really wanted to do it. When I started I thought I would be sending my book out to every Agent I could find, but the more I looked into it, I realised that self-publishing was perfect for me. So in the early stages of writing I was also reading everything I could find about self-publishing. It has been a very straightforward journey so far. Lets hope it stays that way.

What song(s) would be on the soundtrack for your book?
Breakeven – The Script
Will you still love me tomorrow? – Amy Winehouse
Tender – Blur
To be with you – Mr Big
I need to put together a proper play list don’t I?

 If your book was to become a movie, who would you cast as the main characters?
Definitely Paul Walker as Danny, he was who I pictured while I was writing. Matt Bomer as Max, I wonder if he can do the British accent? Jen would be Rachel McAdams.
Liv is tough. Lily Allen has always been at the back of my mind. She is about as close to Liv as I can get. With lots of tattoos of course!

Tell us something unique about you (that can’t be found in your author bio).
I was once on the ‘Sooty Show’ Its an old kids TV show in the UK about a hand puppet called Sooty and his hand puppet friends Sweep and Sue. There is a Human called Matthew in it and I think you are not supposed to notice he operates the puppets! It was as cool as it sounds!

Who is your fictional character crush (Movie, TV, Literary)?
I seriously love them all! Christian, Travis, Kellan, GRIFFIN, Gideon, ALL the Sinners…I can’t name one bbf that I haven’t fallen hard for! Actually, Remy and I got off to a rocky start, but it wasn’t him, it was me and we resolved out differences. I love him now. It’s the same with Films. In TV, Neal Caffrey really stands out for me…WOW!

Tell us a little about your writing process. Any pre-writing rituals or routines?
1000 words a day, at least five days a week, Anything more is a bonus, but  I’m quite strict about it.

How do you connect with readers? Do you really like it when they contact you?
Twitter and Facebook, but I can almost always be found on Twitter. I love to hear from anyone who wants to talk books!

How did you choose the cover of your book?
After a looooong period of procrastination I finally just did it one day, I picked three images, my beta readers voted and I made it that night! 2 days before the cover release! Eeeek!

Writing and editing can sometimes be exhausting. How do you relax?
*Sigh* I haven’t yet! I sleep occasionally!

If you could offer one piece of advice to a prospective author, what would it be?
Get on Twitter! I joined Twitter to not knowing how it would help me. Six months later, I have friends, real proper friends for life, we talk off Twitter, we are going away together…THAT kind of friends. I can’t speak highly enough of the book community on Twitter. I’m connecting with readers, writers, bloggers, role players. It is my happy place. People who love books will bend over backwards to help you spread the word, just do it, it was the best thing I ever did.

Do you have any future projects in the works?
Yes! Something I am seriously excited about! It is very different to Just Human and the sequel Still Human which is in editing. The new project has no title yet, but I can tell you it is very steamy!

Quick Fire Questions
Fast Food or Sit-Down Restaurant? Sit down
Coke or Pepsi? COKE!!
Book or Kindle? Kindle
Dogs or Cats? Dogs
Favorite dessert? Apple Pie
Favorite book as a child? Matilda – Roald Dahl
Favorite book now? Just one are you serious? I am in love with my genre, I can’t just pick one! If I can have a series I’ll say Thoughtless series – SC Stephens

No comments:

Post a Comment