Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Author Interview L.T. Kelly



Inline image 1


I am so excited to have L.T. Kelly on the blog today. We had such fun with these questions!


This is your debut novel, please describe your journey into publishing. - I always wrote short stories. I honestly didn't believe I have the time to write a novel. I started writing unsure of what I was going to do with the story at the end. Whilst I was writing I met a huge group of authors on Facebook that had or were going to independently publish. I decided that was the way for me to go. I set myself a target of October 2013 to finish, but the story sort of flew out. Revisions took a lot longer though, as they should.

What kind of research did you have to do for this novel? - This is kinda' crazy but I buy houses for my characters. I like to deal with real houses and real places. Also, I researched London and Joydens Wood and had lots of maps, as these are the two places my book is set. I've been to London quite a few times but I don't know it that well. I researched absinth (yes, the drink, you'll see why) and places my characters visited. I'm pernickety about being as factually correct as possible.

Tell us something unique about you (that can’t be found in your author bio). - People find this hard to believe. I blame it on the fact my sister is a hairdresser, but I'm a ginger too. Just like Teagan (the main character in 'Falling to Pieces'). My family are from Dublin as well, born and raised. So I guess Teagan is a little like me.

Who is your fictional character crush (Movie, TV, Literary)? - Let it be said, this is no crush, I'm in love with Eric Northman. I've got to admit I got to True Blood a little late, but I've got pictures of him plastered on my office wall. He brings out the teenager in me.

Tell us a little about your writing process. Any pre-writing rituals or routines? - I sit down in my dressing gown most mornings. I intend to write a few hundred words of thought from the sleepless night I had thinking about the story after crawling into bed at two AM. I look up just before lunch and wonder why my children have trashed my house and why I feel so tired, only to realise I wrote a few thousand words.

How do you connect with readers? Do you really like it when they contact you? - I'll let you know when that happens. In all honesty, I won't mind. I plaster my information everywhere so readers can connect with me.

How did you choose the cover of your book? - I chose my cover designer first off. I'd seen her work on Facebook and I loved it. Arijana from 'Cover It Designs!' had predominantly designed contemporary romance covers. I was the first author that had come to her with a paranormal. She thought it was a little busy— she thrives on simplicity—but we worked hard together and she gave me what I wanted and more. She's a great person to work with.

Where is your favorite place to visit? - I was in the Royal Air Force for over eleven years so I've been to a lot of places. Travelling was what I loved to do before I had children. I often just grabbed my passport and went off on my own when I was on leave. I can honestly say if it's hot, sunny and has a beach with a bar then I'm in.

Writing and editing can sometimes be exhausting. How do you relax? - I don't really do that. Yes, writing and especially editing can be frustrating, but I love it from the bottom of my heart. I like drinking wine and it certainly helps me wind down. Reading helps as well, I try to read before I go to sleep to let go of my own stories and jump into another. Going to bed in the early hours often puts paid to that.

If you could offer one piece of advice to a prospective author, what would it be? - Don't for a second think that you can do without an editor, even if you are an editor.

Do you have any future projects in the works? - The sequel to 'Falling to Pieces' is called 'Falling Apart’ and is currently in progress. I'm looking to release in spring 2014. I'm considering a prequel from the viewpoints of Thomas, Victoria and Bartholomew, but I'd like to ask the readers how they'd feel about that. I'm also planning to write a contemporary military romance with friend of mine who's a wonderful author.

Quick Fire Questions
Fast Food or Sit-Down Restaurant? I'm married to a head chef! Sit-down.
Coke or Pepsi? Coke
Book or Kindle? Kindle
Dogs or Cats? Dogs
Favorite dessert? Cake
Favorite book as a child? 'Anne of Green Gables' by L.M. Montgomery (I think that was a 'ginger' thing)

Favorite book now? 'The Blood that Bonds' by Christopher Buecheler 

No comments:

Post a Comment